ITAR CATEGORY XV:
Spacecraft Systems and Associated Equipment
- Spacecraft, including communications satellites, remote sensing satellites, scientific satellites, research satellites, navigation satellites, experimental and multi-mission satellites.
- Ground control stations for telemetry, tracking and control of spacecraft or satellites, or employing military cryptographic items.
- Global Positioning System (GPS) receiving equipment specifically designed, modified or configured for military use; or GPS receiving equipment with any of the following characteristics:
- Designed for encryption or decryption (e.g., Y-Code) of GPS precise positioning service (PPS) signals;
- Designed for producing navigation results above 60,000 feet altitude and at 1,000 knots velocity or greater;
- Specifically designed or modified for use with a null steering antenna or including a null steering antenna designed to reduce or avoid jamming signals; or
- Designed or modified for use with unmanned air vehicle systems capable of delivering at least a 500 kg payload to a range of at least 300 km.
NOTE: GPS receivers designed or modified for use with military unmanned air vehicle systems with less capability are considered to be specifically designed, modified or configured for military use and therefore covered under this paragraph (d)(4).) Any GPS equipment not meeting this definition is subject to the Export Administration Regulations.
Radiation-hardened microelectronic circuits that meet or exceed all five of the following characteristics:
- A total dose of 5×105 Rads (Si);
- A dose rate upset threshold of 5×108 Rads (Si)/sec;
- A neutron dose of 1×1014 n/cm2 (1 MeV equivalent);
- A single event upset rate of 1×10¥10 errors/ bit-day or less, for the CREME96 geosynchronous orbit, Solar Minimum Environment; and
- Single event latch-up free and having a dose rate latch-up threshold of 5×108 Rads (Si).
All specifically designed or modified systems or subsystems, components, parts, accessories, attachments, and associated equipment for the articles in this category, including satellite fuel, ground support equipment, test equipment, payload adapter or interface hardware, replacement parts, non-embedded solid propellant orbit transfer engines, explosives, energetic materials, and propellants.
NOTE: ITAR does not cover the following items unless specifically designed or modified for military application: The export of these items would be covered under the Export Administration Regulations.
- Space qualified travelling wave tubes (also known as helix tubes or TWTs), microwave solid state amplifiers, microwave assemblies, and travelling wave tube amplifiers operating at frequencies equal to or less than 31GHz.
- Space qualified photovoltaic arrays having silicon cells or having single, dual, triple junction solar cells that have gallium arsenide as one of the junctions.
- Space qualified tape recorders.
- Atomic frequency standards that are not space qualified.
- Space qualified data recorders.
- Space qualified telecommunications systems, equipment and components not designed or modified for satellite uses.
- Technology required for the development or production of telecommunications equipment specifically designed for non-satellite uses.
- Space qualified focal plane arrays having more than 2048 elements per array and having a peak response in the wavelength range exceeding 300nm but not exceeding 900nm.
- Space qualified laser radar or Light Detection and Ranging (LIDAR) equipment.
Technical data and defense services directly related to the articles enumerated in paragraphs (a) through (e) of this category, as well as detailed design, development, manufacturing or production data for all spacecraft and specifically designed or modified components for all spacecraft systems.
This paragraph includes all technical data, without exception, for all launch support activities (e.g., technical data provided to the launch provider on form, fit, function, mass, electrical, mechanical, dynamic, environmental, telemetry, safety, facility, launch pad access, and launch parameters, as well as interfaces for mating and parameters for launch.)